Skip to main content

Historical Society

Hello Dear Readers,
I haven’t posted in while because I’ve been trapped in my apartment because of the terrible rain.  Finally, the skies have cleared, the birds are singing and I’ve taken the bus into downtown Kevin’s Crossing.  I had a strange encounter before I even got on the bus!

Part 1
While sitting at the bus stop a few blocks from my apartment, a tabby cat jumped up on the bench with me.  It repeatedly nudged me with its head until I pet would it.  I noticed that it had a ragged collar with an ID tag.  I wanted to look at the tag, fearing this tiny apex predator was someone's beloved pet that had slipped outside.  I expected the tag to have the usual name and address or phone number.  What I saw was quite different.  The tag was diamond shaped, the kind you can print yourself at most fine petcare chain stores.  It read ‘This is not a real cat’.
I did a double take and leaned away from the suspicious feline.  It continued to try and nuzzle me.  When I didn’t respond, it looked into my eyes then hopped off the bench and slunk away. Very cat-like, if you ask me.  What promising start to the day!
I hope to see it again, real or otherwise.  I hope it's alright.  Last I heard the pack of feral dogs that's been terrorizing town was still on the loose.

Part 2
Since moving to town I’ve only been ‘downtown’ once.  It’s as delightfully underwhelming as I expected.  I wasn’t entirely sure of my destination, there are so many opinions on this beautiful day.  Should I go to the bike shop, so I can get around town more easily and quicken the pace of my investigations?  Should I go to the library and research prior cases of hysterical madness and Native American legends?
After arriving downtown I passed the bike shop first, and after a quick look in the window, I realized that a bicycle would be out of my price range for a very long time.  Fortunately, I received a new pair of shoes last Christmas, it looks like I will get plenty of use out of them.  So I continued on to the town library, which I’ve heard good things about.  As I strolled along, taking in the sights of small-town Americana, I kept a close eye on the drains and manhole covers, wondering what might be lurking below.  As I made my way towards the center of town I walked over a bridge that crossed the Narrow River.  It comes from the north and runs passed the Newton Manufacturing Company before entering the town.  Before the factory shut down years ago, it used to dump waste into the river.  Many disappearances have been blamed on its currents and its surprising depth.  Many strange sightings have also taken place along its banks late at night.  Also, families go tubing on it in the summertime!  Fun!
On my way to the library, I was stopped in my tracks.  To my left, there was an old building, like something straight out of Little House on the Prairie.  It was a freestanding log cabin with small windows. It seemed to cower in between larger buildings on either side.  In front was a small, well-tended garden.  There were even bluebells(Susan, your favorite!)!    It looked like something that had been dropped out of the past.  The possibility of time travel excited me but it quickly faded as I read the small metal plaque next to the door that read ‘Newtown Historical Society Museum’.  I was so excited that I almost squealed!  And if that wasn’t enough, it was open!
I hurried over and went inside.  The interior was a single rectangular room with displays about the town’s history and bookshelves against the walls and a cash register by the door.  It was dimly lit and decorated with furniture to match the period.
Inside I met Dolores, she volunteers at the museum everything Tuesday and Thursday.  She informed me, with practiced precision, that the building we were standing in was the oldest building in town and had probably been built around the time of the town founding.  She showed me several display cases with artifacts from the town’s history and a mural showing animals and plants native to the area.
When I asked her about the native people who lived in this area, she was more than happy to direct me the museum’s library(I don’t think she gets many visitors).  It turns out that several different tribes lived in this general area, none of them lived in the exact location where Kevin’s Crossing, formerly Newtown, is located.  The books were vague on the reason why they simply stated that they believed the area to be cursed.  So they avoided it.  When I asked Dolores she if she knew anything else, she said there was nothing else official on the subject.
I asked her if there was anything unofficial on the subject, and without saying anything she went over to the bookshelf and withdrew another book.  Much to my surprise and delight, she handed me a small softcover book that was published by the Historical Society, about the founding of Newton.  She opened it to a section on town founder, Jeremiah Newton.
I must admit, I was confused what this had to do with legends of strange underground occurrences but I read on.  It turns out that town founder, Jeremiah Newton, had a younger brother, Enoch.  It had been Enoch’s idea to build the town in its current location.  Apparently, Jeremiah always looked after his brother, who was said to be a bit touched.  I don't know what he might have been touched by, but I hope it was nothing bad.
Enoch was supposedly friendly with several Native Americans and they shared their traditions and legends with him.  These legends are what motivated him to encourage Jeremiah to found the town at this location.  One legen, in particular, seemed to fascinate him to the point of obsession.  He was heard to talk about wanting to meet ‘the tribes below’ that lived in tunnels below the surface of the earth.  Which is why none of the tribes inhabited this particular area.  In order to make his younger brother happy, Jeremiah conceded.  It was also easier than trying to buy or take territory away from the natives, and the Narrow River provided a source of clean water.
Later on, Jeremiah also let Enoch redesign the family crest that can still be seen around town on buildings to this day.  I'll have to look for it!
So now I had evidence that these stories of tunnels below the ground did indeed go all the way back to the founding of the town, and before!  Weak evidence, but still evidence.  It didn’t bring me any closer to an actual mystery or bizarre occurrence, but it added another piece to the puzzle.  I thanked Dolores and told her I would return sometime soon to learn more about the town’s history.  I have the feeling that there is a lot more information in the Historical Society’s library that could prove useful to understanding the strange occurrences that take place.
I stepped back outside and the sky had gone grey.  I frowned momentarily but then smiled.  I considered continuing on to the library, but I was worried that clouds meant rain.  I felt that my reconnaissance for the day had been adequate.  I decided to save my adventure to the library for another time.  This was enough excitement for one day!  Next time perhaps I will make it all the way to the town square, which the library sits on the eastern side of.  I’ve heard their are some very ‘inspired’ statues there.
I decided to end it on a high note and get an ice cream cone on my way back to the bus stop.  Would you believe that at the ice cream shop I saw Officer Alice(Officer Eric's partner) getting an ice cream sundae?  I didn’t make eye contact, I just pointed to the ice cream I wanted and left.  After getting a cone of peanut butter ripple I began to walk back.
I walked past the yoga studio, so if my chi is ever feeling blocked, I know where to go.  I wonder if Officer Alice does yoga?
On my way home there was more of the unusual graffiti that I’ve seen again and again around town.  Sometime soon I will have to do an in-depth profile on the town’s graffiti.
But before I sign off, let’s recount the facts as we know them so far!
  • The town of Kevin’s Crossing(formerly Newton) was founded but Jeremiah Newton with his younger brother Enoch.  Picking the location due to the nearness of supposed underground tunnels.
  • People in Kevin’s Crossing sometimes claim there are underground tunnels or tunnel dwellers.  Most recently Harold from Ziggy’s Mini Market.
  • Many buildings in Kevin’s Crossing do not have basements.  Possibly to prevent contact with subterranean tunnels.
I will do my best to continue to add to this list and uncover other odd occurrences.

I’ll keep you updated!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Update - Future

Hello Dear Readers, Part 1 I didn’t think I’d have new information about that contents of the almanac so soon.  But I do!  Most unexpectedly I got an email from Jan March!  Apparently, it is that time of the month!  Hooray for menstrual cycles!  She says that she still isn’t sure about sharing her journals with me but that she had a vision with pressing information.  This vision filled her such a sense of dread and foreboding that she contacted me as soon as she woke up!             Her vision was about the destruction of Kevin’s Crossing!  In it, she saw the town underwater with torrential rain.  Then everything began to shake and the ground split open and more water came out!  In water dark shaped could be seen swimming out of the cracks in the earth.  She didn’t know what they were, but she said she could feel their hostile intent.             This dream/vision mirrors the events in the 1887 Newton Almanac so closely as to make me extremely nervous.  While disastrous and

Idenitity of the Vandal

Hello Dear Readers, Today I received a shocking email from my friend Yusuf!  It’s been a while since I’ve seen or heard from him. Vic had told he’s doing much better since the last time we met.  Turns out its true!  Apparently, there’s something that he feels I needed to know. His email contained only a single link to an article from the Kevin's Crossing Herald, the charming local newspaper.  When I began reading it my breath caught in my chest.  The article said that the identity of the young man killed in a hit and run accident several weeks ago (the Vandal!) had been determined!  Though the identity of the driver of the car is still unknown (frowny face). Before going any further, I must tell you, dear readers, this was very difficult to read.  It re-ignites many emotions I had thought I’d put to rest.  The death of the Vandal, may he live forever in the sun, was very hard on me.  Since then I’ve buried myself in my research (and snack cakes).  This information re-opens t

Petroglyphs

Hello Dear Readers, So, becoming known in town for an interested in the strange and unusual has continued to be a mixed blessing.  On one hand, people are far more willing to talk to me about things now, on the other hand, people know who I am and want to talk to me all the time.  Recently I was contacted by way of email. It was Tim, the teenager from Historical Society. Fortunately, he and his friends have not yet tried to play the elevator game.  They invited me to a secret place somewhere in woods outside of town to show me something he thinks I will find interesting. (Susan, remember when we were kids and we used to go into the woods and eat mushrooms, until the incident with Henry Burrows?  May he live forever in the sun.) Apparently, they have rocks they think I should see. Well, rock does beat scissors. Again I fear being taken out into the middle of nowhere and hunted for sport. But if that is the price that I must pay for mystery, then so be it! So Tim picked me up