Skip to main content

Library

Hello Dear Readers,
    Now that some time has passed since the Vandal’s existence failure, I feel that I'm once again of sound enough mind to return to my investigation into the strange underbelly of Kevin's Crossing.  With no further progress on the strange codex, my tomato and former-tomato monster-plant-thing continuing to grow, and the graffiti situation at a standstill, I’ve decided to take this intermission to find out more about Kevin’s Crossing's history.  Specifically the year 1887!  The year the mysterious treaty between an unknown number of mysterious beings mysteriously took place.  So it’s back to the Newton Historical Society and my good buddy Dolores!  Hooray for books!  Also, hopefully, I will get a look at the drawing of the Snow Devil footprint Robyn told me about.

Part 1
I headed out early since it is a considerable walk and I did not have money for bus fare.  Upon arriving at the Historical Society it looked exactly as I remembered.  Except the bluebells were gone, replaced by voracious dandelions.  When I walked in I was not greeted by the pleasantly wrinkled face of Dolores, the Historical Society's octogenarian volunteer.  Instead, there was a teenager sitting behind the counter looking at his phone.  He seemed startled when I stepped inside.  The Historical Society probably doesn’t get many visitors.  This is probably due to the fact that they lack proper advertising.  I will suggest that they supplement their small plaque with a large neon sign.  That will surely increase foot traffic!
The teen looked up confusion on his face.  I’m sure that my face mirrored his.  “You're not Dolores,” I told him.
“Tim” He stated, pointing at himself, phone still in hand.  We stood and looked at each other.  As the adult, I figured I had to move things forward.
“I’m looking for information on 1887,” I told him and looked over at the shelves full of books.
“The year 1887?” he asked, making me begin to doubt the quality of the Kevin’s Crossing public school system.
Me: “Yes”
Tim: “Anything in particular?”
Me: “Probably”
Tim: “Such as?”
Me: “I don’t know yet.  I just need to know what happened that year.  If there was anything unusual.”  Like a conflict between several non-human terrors that resulted in a treaty.
Tim: “There’s a collection of old town almanacs from back when it was still called Newton.”  I lit up with excitement.  A long series of records like that would be invaluable to a better understanding of Kevin’s Crossing.
Me: “That sounds great, where are they?”  I said looking around frantically.
Tim: “We don’t keep them here, they’re over at the library”
Me: “Oh, I guess I’ll go then,” but before I could turn to leave Tim’s face lit up, with what turned out to be recognition.
Tim: “Hey, are you the guy with the blog about all the weird stuff in town?”
Me: “Uh,” I was taken by surprise.  I had not told anyone in town about this blog.  I was concerned it might make my new friends feel uncomfortable.  It never occurred to me that someone would find it and connect it to me.  I regretted not bringing a taser or smoke pellets, to make a hasty getaway.  “Yesss,” I answered, unsure how to proceed.
Tim: “Oh man, we love your blog!” Tim’s disinterest disappeared and he was suddenly excited.
Me: “We?”
Tim: Me and my friends.  We love the one about the elevator game.  We can’t wait to try it!
I considered suggesting that he go to March any Pennyworth instead.  But sending a group of middle-class teens into Treasure Town seemed more dangerous than sending them to another dimension.
Me: That’s probably not a good -
Tim:  If you want to see something really weird, you should come to the high school.  That’s where all the really creepy stuff happens.
My interest was peaked.
    Me: High School?
    Tim: Yeah, and you should start a youtube channel and record all your adventures and interviews.   That’s the way to go if you really want to increase your number of followers”
    Me: Ah, thank you.  If anything unusual happens you can message me at the blog, I suppose.  I’m going to go to the library now.
I slipped out the door quickly and left, wiping sweat from my brow.  With the awkward encounter over I headed down the street towards the library.  I had been meaning to visit it for several months.  Now it looked like I would finally have the opportunity!

Part 2
I was surprised as I approached the library.  I was expecting a humble square building, like my most small-town libraries.  This was not the case.  The Kevin’s Crossing Public Library is a massive two-story building, done in the neoclassical style, shadowing half and the town square it sits on the edge of. It has many windows.  They are small and have bars on them, giving the building an ominous feeling.  Like an asylum.  They were four large stone pillars holding up the front.  The tops of the pillars seemed to have a design carved into them.  It was too high up and too weathered from years of exposure for me to make out.
And the town Square is not a square at all!  But a triangle made by three roads!  How delightfully peculiar!  In each corner of the ‘square’, there is a statue.  I already knew that there would be a statue of Captain Abraham Archer, who burned his ship, murdered his crew, and buried a treasure back in the Newton days.  Seems like an odd historical character to honor with a statue.  It was quite a majestic statue, carved out of marble.  He held a sword in one hand and had his foot on a treasure chest in very Captain Morgan style pose.
The other two statues I was not familiar with but recognized one right away.  It depicted two men, with similar facial features.  One man was standing up straight and looking out into the distance.  Looking to the future some might say.  The other had slouching posture and seemed to be fiddling with something in his hands that he was looking down at.  This could only be the town founders, the brothers Jeremiah and Enoch Newton.
The next statue was a bit of surprise, it was a triple woman with three bodies, connected back to back to back.  This could only be the Greek goddess Hecate.  The goddess of crossroads (!!!), light, magic, herbs, and ghosts.  The statue seemed both out of place and strangely appropriate at the same time.  It definitely warrants further investigation, but I already had plenty of mysteries on my hands.
So I made my way to the library and pushed through the large oak double doors.  I was struck by the sheer scope of the interior, which was even more impressive than the exterior.  It was a huge open space with a second floor comprised of catwalks.  The building was held up six massive pillars that looked identical to the ones out front expect they were several times thicker.
I located a row of computers and began searching the library’s database.  I quickly located the almanac but there was no location listed for them.  I scratched my head, trying not to let my enthusiasm be deflated, and headed over to the service.  The service desk, like the entire library, was surprisingly busy for the middle of the weekday.  When I inquired about the 1887 Newton Almanac the receptionist informed me that they were considered historical documents and that I would have to fill out a request form.  I must admit, my enthusiasm did deflate slightly.  While filling out paperwork does allow me to practice my penmanship, I was hoping to make some progress on the network of mysteries that this town seems built on.  After seeing Otto’s spectacular script my own appears barely legible.

Part 3
Though temporarily thwarted, I decided to walk around the library and familiarize myself.  I figured there must be a department specializing in the occult or eldritch tomes.  But unfortunately, the closest thing I was able to find was a Teen Paranormal Drama section and old fishing magazines.  Walking around the second-floor catwalk I was able to get a better look the pillars, which were marked by an inscription similar to ones outside.  It wasn’t near the catwalk I was standing on so I had to squint.  The engraving came into focus and I realized it was a large stylized knot, carved into four sides of each column.
I stared at the knot.  It was incredibly intricate.  Unlike the crude ones spray-painted around town.  Could this be the inspiration for the crude graffiti?  Following the branching swirls of the carved knots had a nearly hypnotic effect.  The sensation was strange and familiar at the same time.  I wondered where I had seen or felt this before.  The inability to make sense of it was killing me.  Then it came to me a flash of clarity.  The key I had found at Michell’s Antique Barn had the same knot pattern on the top!  I was giddy with excitement!  More connections popped into existence in my mind.  The key, the carving on pillars here at the library, and possibly even the graffiti.  More connections that seem to lead nowhere.  That should be the town motto.
I looked about frantically, trying to find an answer to a question I hadn’t figured out.  A prematurely bald young man, whose name tag said ‘Francis’  and was wearing a ‘Knowledge is power!’ pin, pushed a cart full of books past.  I waved at him fanatically.  He came over with a hesitant look on his face, which I can hardly blame him for since I was in quite a fit.  I pointed at the carving and asked: “What is that?!”
“Ugh, that’s a Newton knot”.
“More,” I said waving my hands.
“It was designed by Enoch Newton to be the family crest.  It shows up on buildings and things all over town.”
“The knot is the family crest?”
“Yes, ugh, can I go now?”
“Yes, yes.  Recommence alphabetizing.  I have much to think about!”  I could feel this new knowledge sinking into my squishy brain and integrating itself, forming new linkages.  The Newton brother’s founded the town of Newton(currently Kevin’s Crossing).  They are responsible for this library and who knows how many other buildings in town.  .  Also, so there is a key with the family crest on it.  I have to assume that the key goes to their abandoned family mansion.  And then there’s the graffiti, which has to be a crude imitation of Newton family crest.  I feel as if I’m missing the lynchpin that holds all of this together!
I left the library to a fit of excitement.  Again, I did not gain the information I was hoping for but instead got new tantalizing pieces of the strange puzzle that is Kevin’s Crossing.  On my way to the front entrance, I stopped at one of the pillars and paused to look up.  From the ground level, the carvings at the time were impossible to see.  The bottom of the pillars had ornate woodwork panels, no knot though.  I noticed a small gap around the edge of one of the panels.  My strangeness sense tingled.  I knocked on the panel with and it made a hollow sound.  It seems that I found a hidden door into the pillar!  How very Scooby-Doo!  I will have to return and investigate, but I think this is more than a one-man job.

I’ll keep you updated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Update - Future

Hello Dear Readers, Part 1 I didn’t think I’d have new information about that contents of the almanac so soon.  But I do!  Most unexpectedly I got an email from Jan March!  Apparently, it is that time of the month!  Hooray for menstrual cycles!  She says that she still isn’t sure about sharing her journals with me but that she had a vision with pressing information.  This vision filled her such a sense of dread and foreboding that she contacted me as soon as she woke up!             Her vision was about the destruction of Kevin’s Crossing!  In it, she saw the town underwater with torrential rain.  Then everything began to shake and the ground split open and more water came out!  In water dark shaped could be seen swimming out of the cracks in the earth.  She didn’t know what they were, but she said she could feel their hostile intent.             This dream/vision mirrors the events in the 1887 Newton Almanac so closely as to make me extremely nervous.  While disastrous and

Idenitity of the Vandal

Hello Dear Readers, Today I received a shocking email from my friend Yusuf!  It’s been a while since I’ve seen or heard from him. Vic had told he’s doing much better since the last time we met.  Turns out its true!  Apparently, there’s something that he feels I needed to know. His email contained only a single link to an article from the Kevin's Crossing Herald, the charming local newspaper.  When I began reading it my breath caught in my chest.  The article said that the identity of the young man killed in a hit and run accident several weeks ago (the Vandal!) had been determined!  Though the identity of the driver of the car is still unknown (frowny face). Before going any further, I must tell you, dear readers, this was very difficult to read.  It re-ignites many emotions I had thought I’d put to rest.  The death of the Vandal, may he live forever in the sun, was very hard on me.  Since then I’ve buried myself in my research (and snack cakes).  This information re-opens t

Petroglyphs

Hello Dear Readers, So, becoming known in town for an interested in the strange and unusual has continued to be a mixed blessing.  On one hand, people are far more willing to talk to me about things now, on the other hand, people know who I am and want to talk to me all the time.  Recently I was contacted by way of email. It was Tim, the teenager from Historical Society. Fortunately, he and his friends have not yet tried to play the elevator game.  They invited me to a secret place somewhere in woods outside of town to show me something he thinks I will find interesting. (Susan, remember when we were kids and we used to go into the woods and eat mushrooms, until the incident with Henry Burrows?  May he live forever in the sun.) Apparently, they have rocks they think I should see. Well, rock does beat scissors. Again I fear being taken out into the middle of nowhere and hunted for sport. But if that is the price that I must pay for mystery, then so be it! So Tim picked me up